Wednesday 30 May 2012

The Flaming Queen

For those that don't know the Olympics is in London this year and it is also the Queens Diamond Jubilee, celebrating 60 years on the throne. Chester was particularly lucky to be a part of these experiences as the Queen visited Chester Zoo recently and yesterday a couple of friends and I witnessed they Olympic flame being run through the streets of this dear city (sadly I was unable to see the her maj)

Union Jacks are flying everywhere and as a patriot it gives me great pride to see the country coming together in such a way. There is of course the awareness that in 12 days time I will no longer be living in England. This could be seen as a negative I suppose, I think it would have been nice to see everyone get together in Olympic spirit but its not like I could afford to ever see events live anyway. So instead I'm just soaking up these last few dollops of British pride and taking them with me on my travels. It will also be a great excuse to watch loads of British tele to help ease me in.

We may be a crazy magpie, mongrel nation with influences from all over the world due to are being conquered and conquering but this is a blessing and something I embrace. I love the fact the Tea, and Fish and Chips are about as English as St George (which is not at all). I hope that team GB do us proud and the whole Olympics is a banging success and Long Live the Queen!


2 comments:

  1. at first i read it wrong and thought it was the queens 60th birthday and i was about to say 'she looks a tad bit older than that'. but then i reread and realized what it said haha :) i dont know much about royalty being american and all, but that is quite a cool accomplishment and celebration! and im excited about the olympics but i do know one thing...im staying the hell away from heathrow this summer. haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, yer she is 86 (same as my gran). Yer there is a big split in Britain with those who dont like the royal family and those who do, personally I'm a big royalists. These celebrations are a perfect example of how much fun and more important how much money it generates having a royal family. Kong Harald seems an interesting bloke too, ever seen him on twitter?
      https://twitter.com/#!/KongenDin (hilarious)

      Yer we are creating the Heathrow delays on purpose. If know one else can get in we will win everything :)

      Delete