Wednesday 29 February 2012

Employ me, go on, its probably not a terrible ideal.

Yesterday I applied for my first couple of jobs in Norway. This is something I worry about a lot, I've had several jobs most of which have been nothing special. I've learnt a little and studied a fair bit but do I feel I'm actually ready to take on one of these big important roles with a page long job descriptions? I'd like to think so, after all that's what I've spent the last 10 years thinking about.

Seriously though the whole going into the big wide world thing scares everyone I'm sure, I know it does me. Then I add this foreign country element and the mind boggles. Maybe most of the few things I've learnt aren't going to be relevant? The inability to talk the native language is only the beginning of it really. 

"Hi there, I'm Robert, my Norwegian is optimistically self assessed at a beginner level, I have a few contacts in retail, hospitality and logistics . . . . all in another country.
         My most notable skill has nearly always been considered to be my articulation and elocution . . . . . . .  in another language.
         I went to an average School, College and University and received a plethora of slightly above average marks. I can at best hope you think they are better than they are, but what is more likely is to simply dismiss them as inferior to their Norwegian equivalents you have more knowledge of" 

Obviously not the way I opened  my covering letter but I cant help thinking that's the basic gist that any potential employer will summarise it to themselves, but lets hope I'm wrong.
Me before my fist day of proper work at a local suit shop at 16

No comments:

Post a Comment