Friday 10 February 2012

Whisky

My brother is nipping in for lunch on his way back from bonnie Scotland to say hi and show me the many additions to his Scotch collection that he has made while in the promise land. I am therefore going to take this opportunity to discuss one of my favourite topics, Whisky!

I've been drinking Whisky for about 4 years now and I genuinely believe it to be one of the most amazing drinks in the world for its astounding variety of flavours. I was told at a whisky festival last year that where a wine may have around 80-100 chemical flavour combinations, whisky can have many hundreds. I don't know how scientifically true this is as I was on about my 30th taster at the time and was beginning to lose the ability to see let alone listen to a chemistry lecture as fascinating as it was.

I find it difficult to believe anyone is born liking Whisky. I certainly wasn't, like many things I now love like, fish, olives, salad, wine ect. Whisky was something I really wanted to enjoy as it seemed very interesting as well as in my opinion was the epitome of cool! I have been exceptionally fortunate over the last few years despite living a student lifestyle much of the time I have had the opportunity to try many fine whiskeys and although far from an expert I am beginning to build up some knowledge and I hope and plan to die a connoisseur (but hopefully not as a result of the amount of whisky I may have to consume to get that far.)

I also feel I should mention I am aware I have used the term whisky most of the time and occasionally scotch. The reason for this is well I have often been told scotch is king, and I still believe this to be the case. That being said I have been educated in some very nice whiskeys from across the world and have even developed a respect for bourbon and I love a good old fashioned. However if I were to catch someone putting ice in a proper single then fisty-cuffs would immediately follow. Or at the very least a stern talking to and a new drink served correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment