Monday 6 February 2012

Risengrynsgrøt

Risengrynsgrøt or Rice grain Porridge. Firstly a horrible word for me to pronounce in Norwegian!
I will try it phonetically in English for those wondering how its pronounced: Reesengreensgrert, is the best I can do which doesnt sound too hard. But said properly in a Bergen dialect the three R's (its the norwegian version im aware my phonetic has four) are all very aggressive throat noises that is very unnatural for a southern Englishman like myself. Also the Norwegian Y is a sound that cant be properly translated into English but as I said, Reesengreensgrert gives you an idea and if you said it like that I've no doubt a Norwegian would understand you (although they may giggle).

This is the latest Norwegian dish I've tasted. Now I've not had rice pudding since I was kid as I recall thinking it was rubbish and have therfore avoided it however I'm pretty sure that this is very similar. I think the things that really make this interesting is that it tastes of nothing and needs loads of sugar and cinnamon to give it flavour which does in fareness work quite well. The mental thing is then a big dollop of butter on top too, as this is made from a packet of rice mix stuff with just loads of milk. All in all its safe to say this is one dense heavy unhealthy bowl of food.
Therefore I was stunned to discover that this is actually considered a dinner! A bad breakfast possibly, a cheap desert or novel snack maybe. But to call it dinner I found crazy, even if is as dense and filling as a diamond.

I absolutely love trying new food, I find it fascinating. This is very much in the list of things I struggled to really work out and will not be trying again any time soon if I'm honest. As with everything though I always recommend others give it a go if they have the chance and let me know if you figure out what its all about as I cant say I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment