Tuesday 6 March 2012

TROLL!

Me with a Troll at the top of Fløyen mountain in Bergen Summer '11
There are a couple of really really core things I associate with Norway, trolls is arguably the top of that list, hence the name of this blog. I'd heard a bit about it before I went over for the first time but I think I was really surprised to see how wide spread it was. It isn't just stories for kids or an excuse to sell memorabilia to tourists, far from it. 

Norwegians just love Trolls! 

I'm not sure what it is and from my experiences nothing in England can be compared. Its just a fantastic child like obsession with this great collection of myths that take a huge number of forms and all welcomed with open arms. I almost cant bring myself to say it but I'm going to have to to make the point. "Of course they know they don't really exist". However I'm not sure you'd hear many Norwegians saying it willingly, for the simple reason, pretending is fun! Yes we are all sensible logical people who can separate fact from fiction, but sometimes why bother? Personally I love the whole thing and you will catch me playing along with as much enthusiasm as any Norwegian.


One final thing, I can't discuss Norway and Trolls without plugging Troll Hunter. Amazing Film! A little creepy, largely funny, all in all very entertaining. At first I thought maybe it was bias from Norwegians and then even from myself as I have close links with the country. Then I watched it again and spoken to lots of other English that have seen it and everyone agrees its just a top film!



2 comments:

  1. and i totalllllly know where that photo was taken :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I imagine I'll spend a lot of time walking up and down Fløyen. It was great!

    ReplyDelete