Wednesday 8 August 2012

IF

I'm not certain if I mentioned it in a previous post but I clearly remember saying to myself and a few close friends & family that I thought the first couple of months after I moved to Norway would probably be fun and then get increasingly difficult, stressful and depressing until the end of the first year. I then suspected it would get easier after that and hopefully truly comfortable and at home after around three years. Given I am fortunate enough to have time on my side still being just 22, this was a timetable I had accepted.

I am now just three days off the two month mark and I think I am well on target. I have been slightly negative at moments but largely things have been really fun. A few nights out, a couple of little trips, visitors from home and the best mark I could have hoped for in my degree. I must look back very fondly on most of that time.

The low feelings however are slowly peering their ugly heads in small waves as I plod along day to day, searching for jobs and generally just waiting for something immense to happen. This will however not be a negative post, oh no! Instead I will share one of my tricks for staying positive, and it is through the words of 'IF' by Rudyard Kipling. I remember few things from my childhood as clearly as I remember the first time my Dad read me this poem. I was instantly moved by it and kept a copy in my room for a quick read whenever I was feeling down. 

Years later it still works as well as it ever did, I'm sure many of you would have heard it many times but I just read it after receiving my fifth job rejection e-mail in two days and I felt the need to remind the world of these wise words. I have been heavily considering getting IF tattooed somewhere and if it carries on keeping me upbeat I think I will have to.

The link is to a slightly better quality version of the same video. Personally I prefer to read the poem out loud to myself to get the full effect hence why I have posted the whole thing below. However this is a really nicely put together video that is well worth a look at.


IF
  • If you can keep your head when all about you
  • Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
  • If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
  • But make allowance for their doubting too;
  • If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
  • Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
  • Or being hated don’t give way to hating,
  • And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:
  •  
  • If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
  • If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim,
  • If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
  • And treat those two impostors just the same;
  • If you can bear to hear the truth you ’ve spoken
  • Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
  • Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
  • And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:
  •  
  • If you can make one heap of all your winnings
  • And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
  • And lose, and start again at your beginnings
  • And never breathe a word about your loss;
  • If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
  • To serve your turn long after they are gone,
  • And so hold on when there is nothing in you
  • Except the Will which says to them: “Hold on!”
  •  
  • If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
  • Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
  • If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
  • If all men count with you, but none too much;
  • If you can fill the unforgiving minute
  • With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
  • Yours is the Earth and everything that ’s in it,
  • And—which is more—you ’ll be a Man, my son!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the poem - I wrote it down and am sure that it will be quite useful since I'm moving to Bergen soon:)
    Take care and keep us all in the loop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it, I hope you find it as useful as I have over the years :) Good luck on your move! When is it happening and are you planning to blog about it?

      Delete
  2. Thank you! Well I plan to come during the first week od September (two weeks from now and I still havent realised that I'm actually doing it!) and definitely want to start blogging... I was lucky to find many blogs on Bergen expats and find it very helpful and fun to read! Oh, cant wait:)
    Keep on writing, please

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yer that is very soon. I had the same problem with it not sinking in, especially with my finishing uni at the same time. I just didnt think about it too much and let things sort themself out. Which fortunately they did :)
      Drop me the link if you do start a blog and yes I will keep up my writing as I am enjoying it a lot, especially now I am having more contact with readers. My girlfriend recently gave me the nickname of the 'rambling man'. Much better than just 'the guy who's always talking' which I have been called many times before haha.

      Delete