Tuesday 21 August 2012

EMPLOYED!

Now dont get too excited, as I can see you were. It's very uninteresting but I am pleased none the less. I have just get a job which I started on Monday. I am doing maintenance and stuff but essentially I'm just a general labourer and handy man/bitch. Obviously not ideal and its only a temporary contract but I shall start with the positives, of which there are several! (I originally mentioned the specific company but probably not a good idea in retrospect and as its not relevant I have decided to take it out.)

I can finally complete my application for proper long term residency! This is a big deal, I have described myself several times as a 'glorified tourist' as that is kind of how I felt, unemployed and not even allowed to open a bank account. But now with contract and passport in hand I can wonder down to the police station (I havent actually done this yet but will soon) and pick up a personal/birth/national insurance/social security number or whatever you call it in your particular country. I also strongly believe this will boost my chances of getting a long term job doing something in my field. I understand that no one wants to hire the fresh of the boat Englishman with no proof of his Norwegian written or oral or even that he would work well with other Norwegians. Its completely fair enough, I've only ever worked in England and although I may put in a personal statement 'works well with all types of people etc,' I had no real documented proof. But now I do and hopefully it shall be a big boost to future applications. I am also sure that working around Norwegians all day will help me with my Norwegian which is progressing still nicely at a very slow speed.
O yer and I almost forgot it pays very well, loads by English standards for such a position. Obviously it doesnt go as far here and most positions pay much higher than in the UK but still I'm chuffed.

Negatives then, well I'll only touch on them as I'm in a staying positive mood. The contract states its a short term deal until when the jobs done or December 31st, whichever comes first. Therefore could in theory be over any day, a couple of months has been suggested as an approximation and I hope that is the case. The problem here of course is that even if it is as long as two months, it may not be enough to boost my CV, improve my Norwegian and then a month later when all the money has run out again I'm in the exact same place I was last week! Also the job itself is very boring, so far I have been begging for things to do, been sent home twice by 15.00 and I really want to work a proper 8-4 to earn the money but just hasnt been enough to do. I'm hoping that as they see my enthusiasm they find more. Easy money is nice in theory but I want to show I'm worth having around so they keep me. Meant to be doing a load of painting tomorrow so that should be good, nice lengthy tangible task, perfect.

Anyway that is all for now. I am proud to have joined the club of crappy first jobs in a foreign country, I've heard of a few interesting stories before and by their standards mine is pretty good. Please share your first expat job stories with me if you have them  :)

8 comments:

  1. congratsssssssss to you!!!!! that is so awesome. a first job is better than no job!!! you're lucky being european that you can accept anything. us americans don't have that same luxury haha!!! :)

    good luck working!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. Yes I have seen from yours and other blogs there is a lot more redtape involved with none EU immigrants . I am surprised so many Americans and other none Europeans do come over. I'm glad of course as its great to have some diversity.
      It is very handy being in the EU. Norway have really got it sorted though getting pretty much all the benefits and compatibility with the EU but without having to always follow there rules. Clever Norgees

      Delete
  2. Well done Gent! been in the same boat myself in Bergen. Been working as a cleaner in a care home recently so i know what it's like. Starting a course on monday so I hope my Norskie is up to it.

    Good luck mate :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers :D it's all about the unglamorous jobs haha. Got to be done though. Good to hear from you as I had not seen your blog before. Consider yourself Followed!
      Look forward to hearing how you get on.

      Delete
  3. Congrats! Hopefully it gives you lots of time to practice your Norwegian. In proper Bergensk, of course;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course haha, Cheers :)

      Delete
    2. Yay! Congratulations on your first job & dont get bothered by the uncertain future - you'll work it out later. Enjoy it now:)

      Delete
    3. Thank you Barbora :)I'm sure when I finally get my first pay check I'll be doing no complaining haha

      Delete