Thursday 5 July 2012

Summer Solstice

It was recently the summer solstice as most of you are probably aware, where I come from this is celebrated by going to Stone Henge and checking out some crazy druids (I've never actually done it but I'm assured that is the done thing). In Norway they have huge community bonfires, seems very unnecessary as its so light for so long, you'd think this would be a better idea in the winter, but who am I to argue with custom.

Marianne and I took the opportunity to go out into the long evening sun to take come nice (cliche) pictures. I found it very strange to still see it so light gone 23.00 and the sun didnt really disappear until about midnight. It also meant it was quite warm too and ideal for a nice walk. I have been looking forward to moving to Norway for all the walking and amazing views and although I have not done as much as I maybe should I have really enjoyed what I have done. This country really is stunningly beautiful and I hope I never stop seeing it. 

Finally I would like to mention the zebra crossings here. Now yes we have them all over England and I shouldn't find it that strange but I do as they are everywhere, it seems every street you are just meant to happily wonder into confident the cars will always stop for you, I find myself waiting at the side constantly waiting for an opening only to see cars stop and look and feel like a muppet. What I love about Zebra crossings here though really is the signs. A few new ones have popped up with a stick figure on them which is tragic as the original is a guy in a suit and trilby hat. I think it is very funky and honestly makes me smile most days, I think I may start to petition against the new stick man!

Really enjoyed getting this photo, although cars where coming far too often and looked very stupid. It was 23.18 here, and as you can see, so bright


This was 23.15 here and it was a lot lighter than this picture makes it out to be. I  had an obsession with the lonely tree in the middle of the mountain, thought it was awesome!

Cliche silhouette photo taken with my iPhone, couldnt resist. Taken at Midnight

1 comment:

  1. Pics are fab Bob's especially the last one.....hoping we can get a similiar pic when we visit as it is awesome, klem xx

    ReplyDelete