Thursday 12 July 2012

After the Holiday. The good, the bad and the tedious.

I've been living in Bergen a month now and its fair to say the holiday period is well and truly over. Marianne even started her new job yesterday so I'm on my jack jones most of the day. So what have I been doing?

Lets start with the positive, went out a couple times in the last week or so and really enjoyed myself, plenty of bars and stuff and I have discovered you can even get drinks here from as little as 29kr if you use your noggin. Definitely becoming much more comfortable generally, met plenty of people and even managed a couple of hours of football the other day which although I'm still suffering, I really enjoyed.

Best news of all is I got my University Results last week and to my shock I got a 2.1!!  I'm aware most people dont know what that is so I will tell you, it's essentially a B, the second highest grade and given my very slow and lazy start to Uni something that neither I nor anyone else every thought I would manage. I was quite simply chuffed to bits!! (for those that dont know this expression see Hugh Laurie's interview with Ellen for a translation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYmrg3owTRE )

So on to the bad, finding a job is my no shock number one! Finding out in the same week I got a great grade I never thought I'd get only to then realise I will still not get anything close to a decent job in the near future was a major moment killer. I found one job I really liked the look of online that although probably still way out of my league I was a tiny bit excited to look into, only to phone them and be told, "yer I know it says we would consider graduates but only really those with an engineering background, without that and very little experience I would be pessimistic, we usually get well over a hundred applicants for positions like this. But do feel free to apply". Well thanks for nothing man, well except your honesty, guess its not actually his fault but I need to blame someone! I did apply, mainly just because I had nothing better to do with my time but I eagerly await the thanks for trying but bugger off from them along with a couple of other jobs I've ambitiously put myself forward for.

Now for the tedious bit, I actually got offered a job over a week ago, sadly though this was for a very busy restaurant in the centre of town that insisted that I work every weekend and evenings and commit to be their long term. Now I've done that before and know I am more than capable of working long hours in a restaurant running around all the time (although I did develop some worrying knee problems at times) however I've moved all the way to Bergen to be with my girlfriend, what is the point in doing that if we then have conflicting jobs that result in us literally never seeing each other and just meaning neither of us ever get any sleep as we are disturbed by the other. In the end it was just a big no go, and with that it occurred to me that pretty much anything in hospitality was also going to be the same, so the one area that although I didn't actually want to work in again I thought I could at least settle with before I came I now cant really do. So where does that put me, sitting on my arse at home depressingly searching through dozens of jobs I can't do. Oh Goody!

Still one must keep positive, and most of the time, I am, something has to come along soon right? In the mean time I consider myself very lucky to have a nice roof over my head and food on the table thanks to Marianne's insanely kind family. After all things could be loads worse and one must have a little perspective, so actually, ignore the forth and fifth paragraphs, everything is good really I cant really complain.

2 comments:

  1. hi bobby, my first job in sweden was standing with a sign for a jeans shop for 25 kr an hour, black, so dont loose hope buddy, it just takes time.I had a degree too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do recall you saying. Not sure if this is meant to make me feel better or not haha. Applyinh for everything from project manager to paint mixer at the moment. Not giving up just yet!

      Delete