Monday 2 July 2012

Lads Cabin Trip

Apologies once again for the gap between posts, it is shocking however this time I have a better excuse than ever.

Last week I was with little notice invited to a lads week in a Cabin just outside Stavanger. There were between 5 and 8 of us throughout the week ( this was because people came and went as per there personal commitments not due to fatalities) and I was the only Englishman invading what was a very long tradition between this group of life long buddies. I was a little worried before the trip, being a clear outsider only knowing one of the guys well (Pål my girlfriends, sisters boyfriend) and meeting 3 of the others just once before. I needn't of  worried though, everyone was great and I had an awesome week!

We spent all our time simply chilling, chatting and drinking. Drinking a lot in fact! Despite suffering heavily each morning and one in particular where I didn't move for around 10 hours (except to excuse myself for regurgitation) it never stopped me enjoying the big BBQs we had every single night. A great idea that was met with zero resistance every time from every man present.

But anyway that is enough of all that, I really wanted to mention a few other observations I have made about Norway. Firstly many people have cabins in the country, I found this strange coming from England where space is scarce and property is expensive but given the change ratios of land to people in Norway it does make total sense. I've always been a big fan of camping and the cabin culture is similar in many ways and I'm hooked early. People should enjoy their own countries for a little get away and realise that going abroad and spending thousands is not always necessary. I  even came back from the cabin trip with a nice little tan!

What I found most interesting though was the location of this Cabin. To get to it, one could either drive up a very steep rocky road (impossible with front wheel drive and a challenge in anything not designed for off road driving) or park a little way down the mountain and walk (this is what we had to do). This does not sound so bad and in hindsight it wasnt. But at the time as I was trying to drag my case 5 minutes up a wet hill using a mud track and climbing over rocks I couldnt help think that noone would ever do this in England. Why would you build a house somewhere you cant easily get to? its madness!! we visited a peer later in the week and again to get from one side to the other you had to scale over rocks, this didnt bother me at all but I just found it really strange no one had built a path. 

I asked one of the guys about all this lack of convenience stuff (trying very hard to appear inquisitive and not just lazy) and he explained quite simply that in a country like Norway with so many mountains, rivers and other natural obstacles and such a sparse population their is just no point trying to avoid things all the time and Norwegians are very happy to accept the challenge. Personally I think there is definitely a novelty element here and it wouldnt hurt to build an extra path or two, but what is wrong with a nice little challenging novelty. Answer, nothing actually so I should probably just drop it.

One of the many beautiful panoramic views from the cabin. I already wish I had more but drinking and BBQs seemed much more important at the time

2 comments:

  1. holy crap! that place looks gorgeous!!!! i might have to join next time (im imposing myself and i dont even know you in person haha!) :) either way, we should all get together some time this summer in bergen for a drink.

    btw...i loved your answers on my latest post! i think it is great when people have diff experiences abroad. but i do think norwegian strawberries kick ass ;) haha!!!! maybe ive just had one too many horrible american ones.

    also, i totally understand what youre saying about getting with too many expats. many of the expats in bergen only hang out with each other. i couldnt imagine. and all they do is bitch about the place. i have learned that you can not fully enjoy an expat experience without getting to know the closest thing to the heart of the culture...the people! norwegians are great once you get to know them, just hard to get to know at first (unless they are friends of family...like my boyfriend's friends in bergen). even though we are both technically expats, we should all get together one day! would be nice to meet ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid its a guy only trip, (hence the absence of my own dear lady) they are very strict about that haha. Was beautiful I must say, and we were so lucky with the weather most of the week.

      If your even in England around the right season get on the berries, they are awesome!

      I've been really lucky to have the oppotunitie to meet so many people since I've been here, a guys birthday last week, a week with the guys and even watched football with 5 doctors last night(very strange to know that without doubt or argument that you are the stupidest person in the room).

      All are great and speak English to me all the time and even around me most of the time. I dont know what it worse though, feeling like I impose all the time or when people do switch to Norwegian and I lose the conversation (doesnt take long) just sitting there like a muppet trying not to look awkward. Not a fan of either! I dont want to be a burden but i hate not being involved too. Suppose I better just get on with learning Norwegian haha.

      But yer we should all get together sometime, it doesn't count as a proper ex-pat meeting as we will have our native partners there too. Has he always lived in Bergen? Would be funny if they already knew eachother, its a small world after all . . .

      Delete