Saturday 16 June 2012

Officially Ex-Pat!!

It is disgraceful of me that this post has taken me so long to write but I wasnt sure where to start. But here it goes, I am now officially living in Norway arriving here Monday afternoon, greeted by beautiful sunshine. This was a massive treat especially as there were floods all over England as I was leaving. The first evening Marianne's siblings, and nieces all joined us at her parents for a cracking BBQ, I even got a slight tan before running inside to catch the England game (I have never mentioned before I'm a huge footy fan but I will try to not fill up this blog with all that jazz).

It was a great day, as were the few that followed, we have been fairly relaxed most of the time, catching up/meeting people but we have also begun the dreaded job search. It has been less than a week but I can already see that this is going to be a very long, depressing process. It seems the only jobs that dont require to be fluent in Norwegian are Engineering jobs. I just finished a Bachelor in Management and Marketing and have no manual trade behind me so safe to say I'm up the creek without a paddle. The plan I think is to continue to apply for formal office jobs I know I will never get while also wondering around the cafes and restaurants in the city. Barista would be quite nice as its a little interaction, social hours and I've dont it before so fancy myself as pretty skilled.

Anyway thats enough of the pessimism, I am actually loving Norway so far, everyone is being so so kind and patient and I dont think I'll ever get bored of looking out of the window and being surrounded by mountains and just generally gorgeous scenery. I've even pretty much gotten used to and accepted some of the insane pricing here. 

I look forward to posting in a lot more detail about all the interesting observations I'm making over here that make me laugh and think and on a daily basis, but so long for now! 

2 comments:

  1. glad youre finally here! (well im not 'here' in bergen but i will return soon!). maybe when im back we can all get together for a day in the park or something!

    my undergrad is in marketing and management ;) i feel ya there! you may be lucky though and come across something! it is easier being european b/c you get permission to stay here in ways americans dont :) i have had zero issue getting a job in oslo (just problems with UDI), but i did struggle in bergen. but stay positive and something may just come your way!!!!! dont give up!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yer sure we should all meet up, it would be good to see the person behind the blog!

      Thats a pretty cool coincidence, is that related to your job now? Yer being Eurpoean helps a lot. Just have to go the police station and register as a perminant resident and thats about it. (Should be doing that Monday). I have basically accepted I will have to start of in a cafe/restaurant or something until I'm properly fluent in Norwegian. We will just have to wait and see what happens. Not going to let it stop me loving it over here :)

      Delete